REGULAR MEETING OCTOBER 7, 2004 6:00 P.M. TOWN HALL
Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, Mayor Rich Bauer called the Zumbrota City Council to order at 6:00 p.m. PRESENT: Mayor Bauer; Councilmembers Dave Benson, Doug Borgschatz, Betty Jo Grothe, Deb Wilkinson. Others present: City Administrator Ron Johnson, City Accountant Mary Rohe, Public Works Director Rick Lohmann, Police Chief Gary Selness, Mr. & Mrs. Ray Poncelet, Chuck Rohe, Viola Rohe, Tim Quam, Paul Peterman, Jim Wedge, Paul Qualy.
The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
A correction to the September 16, 2004 regular meeting minutes was noted that the vote to direct staff to obtain costs from the Goodhue County Sheriff’s office for providing the city’s policing was 4-1-0 (Wilkinson opposed), not 5-0-0.
Motion Wilkinson, second Borgschatz to approve the September 16, 2004 regular meeting minutes as corrected. Carried 5-0-0.
Ray Poncelet discussed the events of his son’s wedding day that was marred by his son being arrested for DUI after the wedding dance. He suggested that the officer may have been waiting for his son to leave the VFW, as he started following him immediately upon leaving the VFW parking lot. Mr. Poncelet stated that he felt the situation could have been handled more tactfully and more humanely by the arresting officer, Officer Warner Collette. He stated that, in his opinion, the officer is hurting business in Zumbrota.
Paul Qualy stated that he would like to see a City Council candidates’ forum.
1. 6:15 p.m.- Mayor Bauer opened the public hearing to consider an ordinance to adopt a new City Code of Ordinances. Administrator Johnson briefly described what has been done to this point to formulate this proposed code of ordinances. American Legal Publishing completed the work on the code update after review of the existing city code, resolutions and ordinances. The League of MN Cities was responsible for reviewing the legal compliance of the proposed
Motion Wilkinson, second Borgschatz to adopt ORDINANCE 2004-06, an Ordinance Enacting a Code of Ordinances for the City Of Zumbrota, MN, Amending, Restating, Revising, Updating, Codifying and Compiling Certain Ordinances of the City Dealing With the Subjects Embraced in the Code of Ordinances, and Providing Penalties for the Violation of the Code of Ordinances. Carried 5-0-0.
1. At the last regular meeting, City Council was asked to conduct an on-site inspection related to the Viola Rohe,
Motion Benson, second Borgschatz to approve the request of Viola Rohe, 325 E 5th St, and Donna Hinrichs, 385 E 5th St, to remove their sidewalk(s) along 5th Street and 1st Avenue, with the understanding that a future Council may direct that new sidewalks be re-installed. Carried 5-0-0.
2. There was nothing to report on the 5th Street West/Jefferson Drive Storm Water Study.
3. There was nothing to report on the St. Paul Road Public Improvements Project.
4. There was nothing to report on 2005 wages/benefits.
5. Schumacher Excavating, Inc. submitted the lower of two bids for demolition and removal of the former
Motion Grothe, second Wilkinson to accept the bid of Schumacher Excavating, Inc. to demolish and remove the former
1. At the last meeting, staff was directed to obtain costs from the Goodhue County Sheriff’s office for providing the city’s policing. Sheriff Albers and Major Lorenson both responded to the request informing staff that there would be many questions that would have to be answered to determine an exact cost. They stated that we would need to discuss the hours requested, vehicles, start-up equipment, and many other issues. They stated that
2. At an earlier meeting, Police Chief Gary Selness was instructed to review the traffic signage and vehicle flow around the school area. He recommends that the yield sign on
Motion Wilkinson, second Borgschatz to direct staff to replace the yield sign on
3. Administrator Johnson stated that he received a couple of requests to have the TH58 crosswalk lights at
4. Resolution 2004-27, a resolution authorizing a summary publication of Ordinance 2004-05, was presented for consideration.
Motion Benson, second Grothe to adopt RESOLUTION 2004-27, a Resolution Authorizing a Summary Publication of Ordinance 2004-05, an Ordinance Adopting Certain Amendments to the Zoning Ordinance. Carried 5-0-0.
-Stated that Councilmember Wilkinson and he would be at the League of MN Cities Annual Conference, Sunday, October 10 through Tuesday, October 12.
-Requested that Council members inform him if they want to register for the October 28
SE MN League of Municipalities meeting in
-City Accountant Mary Rohe-
-Thanked Council for the opportunity to attend the MGFOA conference. She stated that several city finance officers cautioned about utilizing an auditing firm that has not completed a GASB 34 audit before.
-Police Chief Gary Selness-
-Informed Council that Police Officer Eugene Leifeld will be splitting some of the School Resource Officer time with Police Officer Gary Schroeder.
-Mayor Rich Bauer-
-Informed Council that Administrator Johnson and he attended the Goodue County Board meeting on Monday at which the Board adopted the Comprehensive Plan Update. Mayor Bauer stated that he was pleased with the Update.
-Informed Council that the Zumbrota Area Ambulance Association Board is considering the purchase of approximately one acre from
-Stated that Councilmember Grothe and he will be meeting with the police department in late October. The police department has asked that Council members consider doing ride-alongs to increase their understanding of the department’s duties/activities.
-Councilmember Deb Wilkinson-
-Stated that she would like to have staff review the employee evaluation process to make sure that the process is measuring the proper items.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS (Continued)
6. The sale price of the
Mayor Bauer adjourned the meeting at 7:20 p.m.
Ronald S. Johnson, City Administrator