Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, Mayor Rich Bauer called the Zumbrota City Council to order at 6:00 p.m. PRESENT: Mayor Bauer; Council members Dave Benson, Doug Borgschatz, Betty Jo Grothe, Deb Wilkinson. Others present: City Administrator Ron Johnson, City Accountant Mary Rohe, Community Development Director Angie Bersaw, Public Works Director Rick Lohmann, City Attorney Matt Rockne, Eugene Benson.
The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
It was suggested to add agenda item 8g- E.T. Benson request to purchase old church, and 8h- Set public hearing on proposed business subsidy to Fairview Red Wing Health Services.
Motion Wilkinson, second Grothe to approve the July 22, 2004 regular meeting minutes. Carried 5-0-0.
1. There were no public comments.
1. There were no public hearings scheduled.
1. There was nothing to report on the 5th Street West/Jefferson Drive Storm Water Study.
2. There was nothing to report on the St. Paul Road Public Improvements Project.
1. Eugene Benson was present to discuss his request to purchase the old church at
2. Administrator Johnson presented a list of judges for the primary election for Council approval, and requested approval of wages for the primary and general elections.
Motion Grothe, second Benson to approve the following as election judges for the Primary Election: Phyllis Berntson, Jim Hanson, Bob Hawley, Dick Myran, Lucy Pollit, Cleveland Raymond, Jane Rodgers, Viola Rohe, Iva Mae Stee, Linda Theis, Jane Vinger, Bev Weness, Charles Zupfer, Joanne Atkinson, Ursula Bezoier, Inez Brunner, Mae Eckert, Barb Hinz, Margaret Hinz, Pat Hostager, Lois Kline, Gary Ofstie, Virginia Pahl, Sue Panzer, Evelyn Satrum, Addie Schliep, Jenny Ziebell. Carried 5-0-0.
Motion Borgschatz, second Grothe to establish the following wages for election judges for the 2004 primary and general elections: Election judges- $7.50 per hour; Head election judges- $8.50 per hour. Carried 5-0-0.
3. Staff requested approval to amend the city employee flexible spending plan reimbursement maximum benefit amount from $2,000 to $5,000.
Motion Wilkinson, second Grothe to amend the city employee flexible spending plan reimbursement maximum benefit amount from $2,000 to $5,000. Carried 5-0-0.
4. Administrator Johnson requested approval for City Council members and he to attend the League of MN Cities Annual Conference in
Motion Wilkinson, second Borgschatz to approve the following for City Council Members and Administrator Johnson: League of MN Cities Annual Conference in
5. Administrator Johnson informed Council that he has requested that department heads soon submit their 2005 budget requests. He stated that Local Government Aid will increase from $422,023 to $475,276. Brad Johnson, Goodhue County Assessor said that preliminary estimates show a tax capacity increase of 8-9% for payable 2005. Administrator Johnson said that this may allow the city to keep its tax rate level. He noted that the levy can increase without necessarily increasing the tax rate. No action was requested or taken.
6. Administrator Johnson presented Resolution 2004-18, a Resolution Approving a City Credit Card, for consideration. He stated that making reservations for seminars, workshops, conferences, flights, hotel rooms and certain purchasing may be completed more conveniently and efficiently with the use of a city credit card. Included in the resolution is a credit card policy that includes requirements mandated by state statute. He suggested a $5,000 credit limit.
Motion Borgschatz, second Benson to adopt RESOLUTION 2004-18, a Resolution Approving a City Credit Card and adopting policies related to said usage. Carried 5-0-0.
7. Community Development Director Angie Bersaw presented, for consideration, Resolution 2004-19, a Resolution Calling a Public Hearing on the Proposed Business Subsidy to Fairview Red Wing Health Services.
Motion Benson, second Grothe to adopt RESOLUTION 2004-19, a Resolution Calling a Public Hearing on the Proposed Business Subsidy to Fairview Red Wing Health Services for 6:15 p.m., September 2, 2004 at city hall. Carried 5-0-0.
8. The Council would go into a closed session to discuss the Lance and Sharon Isenberg litigation upon adjournment of this meeting.
-Informed Council that he invited the Goodhue County City Administrators and/or Council Members to a meeting at city hall at 5:00 p.m., August 11 to discuss the proposed Goodhue County Comprehensive Plan.
-Informed Council that the first day of filing for Mayor and City Council is August 24 and the last day to file is September 7.
-Mayor Rich Bauer-
-Stated that Council Member Benson and he met with Goodhue County Administrator David Hamilton, Land Use Management Director Lisa Hanni and Goodhue County Commissioner Jim Bryant after the feedlot meeting to discuss the proposed Goodhue County Comprehensive Plan.
Mayor Bauer adjourned the meeting at 6:34 p.m. The City Council then went into closed session to discuss the Lance and Sharon Isenberg litigation.
Ronald S. Johnson, City Administrator