CITY OF ZUMBROTA CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
REGULAR MEETING JANUARY 3, 2002 6:00 P.M. TOWN HALL
Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, Mayor Richard Bauer called the Zumbrota City Council to order at 6:00 p.m. PRESENT: Mayor Bauer, Councilmembers David Benson, Betty Jo Grothe, Sue Lewison, Deb Wilkinson. Others present: City Administrator Ron Johnson, City Accountant Mary Rohe, Public Works Director Rick Lohmann, Reporter Sandy Hadler, Conway Jacobson, Jim Wedge, Josh Hinsch, Matt Thomforde, Tyler McAthie, Nick Busby, Elias Floan, Elina Vilkki.
The meeting was opened with the pledge of allegiance.
AMENDMENTS/ADOPTION OF AGENDA
Motion Lewison, second Grothe to adopt the agenda. Carried 5‑0‑0.
One correction to the December 20 minutes was noted. The record should indicate that Councilmember Lewison abstained from voting on the motion to expend up to $7,700 for ground work for the library sculpture project.
Motion Lewison, second Wilkinson to approve the December 20, 2001 regular meeting minutes as amended. Carried 5‑0‑0.
Motion Grothe, second Benson to approve the accounts payable of $58,248.03. Carried 5‑0‑0.
1. There was nothing to report related to sidewalk policies.
2. There was nothing to report related to the Custom Iron request to acquire the city-owned property adjacent to the former City garage on 1st Street East (current site of materials storage and brush site) to accommodate their expansion into the Johnson Equipment Building.
1. Conway and Kathy Jacobson submitted a petition for a waiver of the subdivision controls ordinance platting requirements to facilitate the split of an approximate 5.6 acre parcel (72.740.1131). The Jacobsons have had the property surveyed, and a closing date is established to sell the southerly portion of the split property.
Motion Grothe, second Lewison to approve the petition of Conway and Kathy Jacobson for a waiver of the subdivision controls ordinance platting requirements to facilitate the split of an approximate 5.6 acre parcel (72.740.1131). Carried 5-0-0.
2. Resolution 2002-01 was presented for consideration.
Motion Wilkinson, second Benson to adopt Resolution 2002-01, a resolution designating the Bank of Zumbrota and Edward Jones as official depositories for the city of Zumbrota. Carried 5-0-0.
3. The city's official publication needs to be designated annually.
Motion Grothe, second Benson to designate the NEWS-RECORD as the city of Zumbrota's official publication. Carried 5-0-0.
4. Mayor Bauer requested approval of the 2002 board/committee appointment list.
Motion Lewison, second Grothe to accept the 2002 board/committee appointments. Carried 5-0-0.
5. Administrator received a quote from the League of MN Cities and American Legal Publishing to complete an update of the city code. Johnson will check references, and the item will again be placed on the next regular meeting agenda.
6. Applications for 2002 cigarette licenses were received.
Motion Grothe, second Benson to approve the following 2002 cigarette license applications: Super America, Matthees Midtown, Casey's General Store (Downtown), Casey's General Store (South Main), Covered Bridge Restaurant, Stary Yerka VFW Post 5727, Hub Food Center, Evergreen Lanes, Zumbrota Liquor Store. Carried 4-0-1 (Wilkinson abstained).
7. Michael Barthel, Sheila Barthel and Richard Dustin D/B/A Pizza Man submitted an application for a 3.2% malt liquor license.
Motion Lewison, second Benson to approve the application of Michael Barthel, Sheila Barthel and Richard Dustin D/B/A Pizza Man for a 3.2% malt liquor license pending approval of Police Chief Selness. Carried 5-0-0.
8. ABE Construction submitted a change order on the WWTF rehabilitation project to remove the existing 10 inch effluent flow meter and install a new 10 inch flow meter for a lump sum of $9,900 as the existing meter has failed.
Motion Wilkinson, second Grothe to approve the change order on the WWTF rehabilitation project to remove the existing 10 inch effluent flow meter and install a new 10 inch flow meter- for a lump sum of $9,900. Carried 5-0-0.
9. Rick Lohmann requested approval for Fred Eberhart to attend the Annual Collection Systems Seminar, January 23-25.
Motion Benson, second Lewison to approve the attendance of Fred Eberhart, and the related expenses, at the Annual Collection Systems Seminar, January 23-25. Carried
-Reported that Council will receive a report related to water and sewer across TH52 for the next regular meeting.
-Reminded Council of the Planning Commission's public hearing January 8, 5:35 p.m. to consider the Charles Lemaire rezone request for the property at 333 Central Avenue.
-Public Works Director Rick Lohmann-
-Reported that the new RBCs may be installed in mid-March.
-Reported that the Fire Board will meet on January 23.
-Informed Council of a downtown long-range initiative planning meeting at 7:00 p.m.,
Mayor Bauer adjourned the meeting at 6:28 p.m.
Ronald S. Johnson, City Administrator