Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, Mayor Rich Bauer called the Zumbrota City Council to order at PRESENT: Mayor Bauer; Councilmembers David Benson, Doug Borgschatz, Betty Jo Grothe, Deb Wilkinson. Others present: City Administrator Ron Johnson, Community Development Director Tricia Hinckley, City Attorney Matt Rockne, Police Officer Eugene Leifeld, Mary Rivers (SEMMCHRA), Reporter Sandy Hadler, Dale Hinderaker, Jim Wedge, Conway Jacobson, Larry Ravenberg, Glen Dankers, Dr. Mike Anderson, Rose Perra, Don Lochner, Bob Hawley, Leah Wichmann, Karolin Lex, Kathy Streimer, Diana Post, Ted Vinger, Dave Dahlen, Dick Myran, Michael Hero, Roald Mona, John Mona, Lowell Olson.
The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
It was suggested to add agenda item 7d- License applications.
1. Officer Eugene Leifeld was present to update Council on the DARE program. He stated that the program went well, and thanked the school district for their cooperation- especially the 6th Grade teachers. He informed Council of a new DARE curriculum in 2003. Officer Leifeld thanked Council for their continued support of the program.
2. Mary Rivers, Southeast MN Multi-County Housing Redevelopment Authority (SEMMCHRA) representative, was present to give a power point presentation promoting her agency.
3. Several representatives of Zumbrota Health Care were present to request a donation from the City of
Motion Borgschatz, second Benson to give a donation of $20,000 to Zumbrota Health Care for use for hospital-related purposes. Defeated
Mayor Bauer recessed the meeting at and called the meeting back to order at
1. There was nothing to report on the potential parking restrictions downtown.
2. Tricia Hinckley, Community Development Director, presented a revised joint resolution for Council consideration related to Conway Jacobson's annexation request. It was suggested to set a public hearing, even though not required.
Motion Benson, second Wilkinson to conduct a public hearing at ,
3. It was suggested to delay discussion of the 2002 Strategic Plan summary until the next regular meeting.
4. Michael Hero, attorney representing Roald and John Mona in their annexation request, informed Council that the purchase agreement is being structured so that the portion of the property located in the Commercial/Industrial designated area of the future land use plan will be worked on first. He stated that his clients intend to sell the property whether it is annexed or not.
Some members of the Planning Commission were present. Dave Dahlen, Planning Commission member, stated that it wasn't the Planning Commission's place to recommend whether or not annexation should take place. In his opinion, that is strictly a Council decision. Councilmember Borgschatz stated that approval of the annexation would be a catalyst for commercial/industrial expansion, and would allow a much higher density of housing than a potential rural subdivision. Councilmember Benson stated that he has a problem with the development of additional residential lots.
Motion Wilkinson, second Grothe to adopt Resolution 2003-05, a joint resolution between the city of
5. There was nothing to report on the Sonia Gunhus request.
6. Public Works Director Rick Lohmann requested that Council reject all proposals for the Well #3 Pull-Repair Project, and re-advertise the project utilizing a more easily-definable proposal sheet.
Motion Grothe, second Borgschatz to reject all proposals for the Well #3 Pull-Repair Project, and re-advertise the project utilizing a more easily-definable proposal sheet. Carried 5-0-0.
7. Council was informed that Yaggy Colby has begun work on the St. Paul Road Feasibility Study.
8. Community Development Director Tricia Hinckley presented a resolution proclaiming support and sponsorship of a MN Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Trail Connections Program Grant Application. The grant would require a 50% "hard match" (no in-kind contributions) from the city of Zumbrota. The estimated cost to construct a bituminous surface trail from TH58 and Jefferson Drive to the north end of Trelstad First Addition is $125,000. The project would need to be completed by December 31, 2004.
Motion Grothe, second Wilkinson to adopt Resolution 2003-06, a resolution proclaiming support and sponsorship of a MN Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Trail Connections Program Grant Application. Carried 5-0-0.
NEW BUSINESS (Continued)
4. The following submitted renewal applications for on and/or off‑sale 3.2 percent malt liquor licenses and set‑up permit: On‑sale‑ Evergreen Lanes, KP's, Pizza Man; Off‑sale‑ Evergreen Lanes; Set‑up permit‑ Evergreen Lanes.
Motion Benson, second Borgschatz to issue the following on and/or off‑sale 3.2 percent malt liquor licenses: On‑sale‑ Evergreen Lanes, KP's, Pizza Man; Off‑sale‑ Evergreen Lanes; Set‑up permit‑ Evergreen Lanes. Carried 5‑0‑0.
-Informed Council that the Zumbrota Golf Club liquor license, earlier approved, would be effective beginning April 1, 2003.
-Informed Council that David Drown was asked to present information related to the city's role in the golf course expansion/residential subdivision project at a Zumbrota Golf Club sponsored meeting for the Zumbrota Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Drown stated that he would do so, if Council did not object. No objection was stated.
-Informed Council that Police Officer Interviews will be conducted next week.
-Asked Council if the TH58 Water Main Crossing Project should be combined with the water main project between Trelstad Addition and Zumbro Woodlands, or bid separately. Johnson was asked to place the item on the next regular meeting agenda.
-Informed Council that the Goodhue County Planning Commission will be conducting two public hearings related to the A-3 moratorium request.
-Informed Council that Tricia Hinckley is the new President of the Goodhue County EDA.
Mayor Bauer adjourned the meeting at 8:35 p.m.
Ronald S. Johnson, City Administrator