Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, Mayor Rich Bauer called the Zumbrota City Council to order at PRESENT: Mayor Bauer; Councilmembers David Benson, Doug Borgschatz, Betty Jo Grothe, Deb Wilkinson. Others present: City Administrator Ron Johnson, Community Development Director Tricia Hinckley, Public Works Director Rick Lohmann, Jim Wedge, Brad Nord (Nord Sanitation), Matt Frank (Waste Management).
The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
It was suggested to add agenda item 6f- Bid water projects together or separate?
1. Brad Nord, Nord Sanitation, and Matt Frank, Waste Management, were present to request approval of a transfer of the refuse collection license from Nord Sanitation to Waste Management to facilitate the sale of Mr. Nord's business to Waste Management. Mr. Frank said he sees no immediate changes in the fees upon transfer. In addition, Mr. Frank said they plan to upgrade the curbside recycling program. If the city wants to continue to have them pick up at the recycling sheds, they will do so. The current license expires
Motion Wilkinson, second Borgschatz to approve the assignment of the refuse collection license from Nord Sanitation, Inc. to Waste Management for the remainder of the license period expiring
1. There was nothing to report on the potential parking restrictions downtown. The public hearing will be conducted during the next regular meeting.
2. There was nothing to request related to the Conway and Kathy Jacobson annexation application as the public hearing will be conducted during the next regular meeting.
3. Councilmember Wikinson briefly reviewed the progress of each section of the 2002 Strategic Plan Report summary. She stated that it has been an excellent tool to track activity in each of the various areas. The report had been accepted at a previous meeting.
4. There was nothing to report on the Sonia Gunhus request. Councilmembers Borgschatz and Grothe will meet with City Attorney Rockne and City Engineer Bill Anderson to review.
5. There was nothing to report on the St. Paul Road Public Improvements Feasibility Study.
6. It was suggested to keep the TH58 Water Crossing Project as a separate project when calling for proposals/bids, rather than incorporate it with another project.
Motion Grothe, second Benson to authorize Yaggy Colby Associates to call for proposals/bids for the TH58 Water Main Crossing Project. Carried 5-0-0.
NEW BUSINESS (Continued)
2. Every ten years, a formal Fire Protection Agreement, renewable annually within said ten-year period, needs to be executed by and between the Zumbrota Fire Board and its related townships and the City of Zumbrota.
Motion Grothe, second Borgschatz to authorize execution of the Fire Protection Agreement. Carried 5-0-0.
3. The Zumbrota Area Arts Council intends to submit a One Day Temporary Liquor License application to the State of MN for the March 24 Academy Award Show at the State Theatre. City approval is needed before the State will approve the permit.
Motion Wilkinson, second Grothe to approve the Zumbrota Area Arts Council submittal of a One Day Temporary Liquor License application to the State of MN for the March 24 Academy Award Show at the State Theatre. Carried 5-0-0.
4. The EDA recommended Council acceptance of the 2002 EDA Annual Report.
Motion Borgschatz, second Grothe to accept the 2002 EDA Annual Report. Carried
5. Governor Pawlenty is proposing drastic cuts in State Aids to cities. The City of Zumbrota, under the Pawlenty Plan, would lose $107,854 in 2003 and $204,922 in 2004. Further, a levy freeze for 2004 and 2005 is possible, as well as an employee wage freeze for county, school and municipal employees. Councilmember Borgschatz stated his opposition to both freezes, as he feels that Mayors and Councilmembers are elected by their residents to make those decisions.
Councilmember Wilkinson agreed that it is inappropriate for the State of MN to freeze municipal employees' wages. Administrator Johnson was directed to work with the various city departments to provide budget cutting options, and present said options to Council at their
April 3 meeting.
-Community Development Director Tricia Hinckley-
-Informed Council that the Minneola Town Board had not formally approved the joint resolution related to the Mona property annexation, and that the resolution, therefore, has not been submitted to MN Planning.
-Informed Council that he will present the annual State of the City Address to the Zumbrota Chamber of Commerce at their March 12 meeting.
-Informed Council that Mayor Bauer and he would be attending the next meeting of the Roscoe Town Board.
-Stated that the meeting sponsored by Goodhue County for all Goodhue County cities, in response to Gov. Pawlenty's proposed budget cuts, was very informative and positive.
-Informed Council that she would be attending Trails Day at the State Capitol on March 18.
-Stated her appreciation of being able to attend the Experienced Elected Officials Conference.
Mayor Bauer adjourned the meeting at 7:03 p.m.
Ronald S. Johnson, City Administrator