Pursuant to due call and notice thereof, Mayor Rich Bauer called the Zumbrota City Council to order at PRESENT: Mayor Bauer; Councilmembers David Benson, Doug Borgschatz, Betty Jo Grothe, Deb Wilkinson. Others present: City Administrator Ron Johnson, City Accountant Mary Rohe, City Attorney Matt Rockne, Jim Wedge, Dave Buehler.
The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
It was suggested to add agenda item 8b- Computer purchase request, and agenda item 8c- Ken and Lois Magnuson annexation request.
1. Dave Buehler was present to inform Council of an incident he had involving the Zumbrota Police Department. Mr. Buehler was stopped for an alleged expired license plate around last Monday night. Mr. Buehler received a warning for having an obstructed license plate. Mr. Buehler was upset for many reasons including 1) being stopped for having obstructed license plates when it had snowed heavily that day and he had just traveled on TH52 from the Twin Cities, 2) having the officer call in a back-up officer unnecessarily, 3) believing that the officer wouldn't be able to read his license plate as an oncoming vehicle on Main Street in the dark, 4) the officer not apologizing upon realizing Mr. Buehler had current plates. Mr. Buehler alleged that the officer was "prospecting" for a DWI arrest. He stated that nothing needs to happen to resolve his situation, however. He asked Council to be aware that, in his opinion, this is not an isolated situation. He described other alleged events and stated that, in his opinion, the police department is losing respect, although he spoke well of Police Chief Selness and Officer Leifeld. Councilmember Borgschatz stated that he has also heard several stories that causes him to believe that the police department is feared and not respected, and is tired of hearing these stories. It was suggested to add police department discussion to the February 28 special meeting agenda.
Motion Grothe, second Borgschatz to add the agenda item "police department discussion" to the
1. There was nothing to report under this agenda item.
1. There was nothing to report on the 5th Street West/Jefferson Drive Storm Water Study.
2. There was nothing to report on the St. Paul Road Public Improvements Project.
3. There was nothing to report on the agreement with Don and Pat Webster related to the cost of installation of a water line under CSAH 6.
4. There was nothing to report on the brush site usage.
5. It was suggested to delay discussion of the 2004 fees until the next regular meeting.
6. Councilmember Wilkinson stated that Leah Wichmann, Executive Director, Central Goodhue County Community Service group, will 1) complete this group's budget, and 2) will review State Statute information regarding public purpose of expenditures before deciding whether or not to further discuss her group's request to Council. No action was needed or taken.
7. At the last meeting City Attorney Rockne was instructed to draft an annexation resolution for consideration at this meeting for annexation of the land (120 acres of Roald and John Mona) described as follows: the Southeast Quarter of the Southeast Quarter of Section 35, Township 110 North, Range 16 West, and the South Half of the Southwest Quarter of Section 36, Township 110 North, Range 16 West. Resolution 2004-03 was presented for consideration.
Motion Grothe, second Wilkinson to adopt RESOLUTION 2004-03, a Supplemental Resolution Pursuant to MN Statutes 414.0325, Subdivision 1, for Immediate Annexation of the land described as follows (120 acres of Roald and John Mona): the Southeast Quarter of the Southeast Quarter of Section 35, Township 110 North, Range 16 West, and the South Half of the Southwest Quarter of Section 36, Township 110 North, Range 16 West. Carried
1. Change order #1 with Heselton Construction LLC for the 2003 Water/Sewer/Street Improvements Project was presented for consideration. The change order of $11,724.42 consisted of 1) $1,974.42 to add pipe ties to the 54" culvert as required by
Motion Wilkinson, second Benson to approve change order #1 for $11,724.42 with Heselton Construction LLC for the 2003 Water/Sewer/Street Improvements Project as follows: 1) $1,974.42 to add pipe ties to the 54" culvert as required by
2. Administrator Johnson requested approval to purchase 3 computer systems in city hall. These systems are each 5 years old, and have been the cause of recent, substantial repair bills. The cost to replace the 3 systems (including equipment, sales tax and installation) is $5,457.08. Johnson requested approval to 1) transfer $5,600 from the Capital Projects Restricted Fund to the General Fund line item Data Processing/EDP, Software, amending this budget line item to $13,800, and
2) purchase 3 computer systems for $5,457.08 (price includes installation, sales tax and 3-year on-site warranty).
Motion Wilkinson, second Borgschatz to approve the following: 1) the transfer of $5,600 from the Capital Projects Restricted Fund to the General Fund line item Data Processing/EDP, Software, amending this budget line item to $13,800, and 2) the purchase of 3 computer systems for $5,457.08 (price includes installation, sales tax and 3-year on-site warranty). Carried 5-0-0.
3. Ken and Lois Magnuson submitted a request for annexation for 5.5 acres located directly east of their residence along Sugarloaf Parkway.
Motion Borgschatz, second Grothe to request that the sub-committee of Mayor Bauer, Councilmember Benson and Administrator Johnson meet with representatives of Minneola Township to discuss the Ken and Lois Magnuson request for annexation. Carried 5-0-0.
-Informed Council that several public works employees and he attended an informational meeting on methamphetamines and clandestine meth labs today at the library, and that the meeting is repeated tonight at 6:30 at the library if anyone is interested in attending.
-City Accountant Mary Rohe-
-Informed Council that the recent bond refunding necessitates the closing of four bond funds, and requested approval to transfer any remaining funds into the new bond fund.
Motion Benson, second Grothe to close the following funds and transfer any remaining dollars in these funds into the General Obligation (GO) Refunding Bonds, Series 2004A Fund: GO Improvement Bonds, Series 1994A, GO Tax Increment Bonds, Series 1995B, GO Tax Increment Bonds, Series 1996A, and GO Sewer Revenue Bonds of 1998. Carried 5-0-0.
-Mayor Rich Bauer-
-Informed Council that Bigelow & Sons conducted their neighborhood meeting last night, and the reaction of a majority of those in attendance seemed to be favorable to their proposed concept plan for the development of the approximate 13 acres formerly owned by Garry Ring.
Mayor Bauer adjourned the meeting at 6:36 p.m.
Ronald S. Johnson, City Administrator